Sunday, April 13, 2014

One of THOSE BOOKS......

Because of Mr Terupt by Rob Buyea is one of THOSE BOOKS.  I have yet to meet a reader that didn't like it, both young and old.  I often find myself waiting for the let down, as books people rave about often don't "do it" for me.  I'm relieved to say, for once, I am in agreement.  I not only enjoyed the story, but also found it inspirational.

It is a story told in seven voices at the start of fifth grade.  Each voice is a student with very different reasons to hate school.  There is the class bully, the prankster, the shy one, a new kid, the brain, the follower, and the sullen kid.  They all are in the class of Mr Terupt, who manages to inspire them and keep them in check.  As the school year progresses we learn the root of these students problems.  It takes a terrible accident to truly inspire these students to change their paths.  

As a teacher, I can only hope to connect with my students as well as Mr Terupt does.  And, I believe students can identify with one, or more of the characters in the story, as well as see the "other side" of those that they don't.  Our state has a Minnesota Youth Book Award And the students of my school voted for  this book to win.   Jury's still out on state results....


No comments:

Post a Comment