Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Zombie games

I almost gave up on The End Games by T. Michael Martin.  I believe this is because it is more than just a zombie book.  It is a zombie tale told by a lover of first-person shooter video games, of which I am not.  This is one of the first books that made me realize my age.  Teens, especially teen boys, will love it.

It begins with seventeen-year-old Michael and his five-year-old brother making their way through post-zombie-apocalyptic West Virginia.  Michael uses reflexes honed in the gaming world to navigate the dangers posed by the "Bellows" and by some of the uninflected survivors.  They are trying to make their way to the safe zone, without being totally sure of where they are.  Michael has regular communications with the "Game Master" who gives them clues on how to earn points and "win."  This is where the book nearly lost me.  While I can accept zombies, not so much the whole video game thing.  The purpose of the "game" is soon revealed, making the story much richer.  Michael must protect his little brother from all sorts of evil, as he realizes there may not be a safe zone.

His struggle to overcome both the real dangers of the world, and the imagined pitfalls of the game, as well as the insanity left in the world make this a worthwhile read.  The author is a film school graduate and it shows; the fight scenes reminded me of a great action flick.


No comments:

Post a Comment