Thursday, July 9, 2015

I really wanted to love this book.....

I really did want to love this book.  It has everything that should make it so......magic, a curse, the beauty of words, all the elements.  But, I can't say that I loved A Snicker of Magic, by Natalie Lloyd.  

Felicity Pickle, her mom, and sister have spent most of her life moving from place to place.  A turn of events sends them to their mom's hometown of Midnight Gulch, a town that used to be home to magic, until a family curse banished it.  All that remains is just a "snicker."  Felicity has her own gift, she sees words dancing everywhere....whimsy, fierce, kaleidoscope.  Amazing, revealing words.  At the same time, she seems cursed with a inability to articulate them outside her family.  In Midnight Gulch, she finally makes a real friend, and wants, more than anything, to stay.   She suspects, however, that her mom is cursed to wander.  With the help of music, friends, ice cream with a snicker of magic, and her own courage, she hopes to end the curse for good.

This book had wonderful, insightful, moments, that made me love it a bit.  But, it also seemed to move a bit out of rhythm.  Sections would drag that could have moved along.  Then, sections that were exciting and compelling seemed too abrupt.  That is the real reason I can't say I loved this book, because it just couldn't keep me engrossed.



No comments:

Post a Comment