Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Shades of King Arthur

I started the The Raven Boys, by Maggie Stiefvater, because I am a fan of the Shiver Trilogy, but, I honestly had no idea what to expect.  As with Shiver this story is a new twist on a familiar legend.  Instead of werewolves, this is the legend of King Arther moved to the mountain country of Virginia.

Blue has grown up in a very non-tradional family.  She comes from a long line of true psychics.  She, however, does not have the sight, instead, she has the ability to amplify those powers in others.  Oh, and her future has been seen; she is destined to kill her true true love with a kiss.  Naturally, she avoids boys altogether, especially, Raven boys.  Raven Boys are rich, entitled, snobs who attend a local, very expensive, private school.  Much to her dismay, Blue becomes drawn to four boys on a mission to find a lost king.  Will she help them? Or, will her growing attachment lead to someone's death?

I like that this story is both familiar, and unpredictable.  Much like destiny, I thought I knew what was coming, but was surprised when we got there.  This is the first in The Raven Cycle series.


No comments:

Post a Comment